Senior Design Engineer – DESIGN DIVISION
The Senior Design Engineer is a structural design engineer for commercial and residential construction projects. They perform analysis, planning, and design of vertical structures up to 7-stories in height. The goal of the Senior Design Engineer is to drive profitable projects by their direct technical contribution, as well as by technically leading less-senior team members with their subject matter expertise.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a wide range of structural design work, which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Design of new wood, concrete, masonry, and steel structural systems,
- Detailing of structural connection details for gravity and lateral bracing systems,
- Design of structures in hazard zones (high wind, flood areas, coastal hazard zones, ),
- Design of modifications to existing structures,
- Provide guidance, instruction, and mentorship for junior engineers within the firm,
- Conduct the Design Division’s QA/QC process,
- Exercise judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation of standard engineering techniques, procedures, and Code provisions,
- Review drawings supplied by vendors, clients, engineers, and architects, and perform value engineering that will benefit the client,
- Professionally seal structural drawings for work performed under direct supervisory control,
- Continually improve design processes, design materials, spreadsheets, standard language, etc. to positively impact on Stonewall’s business,
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality structural drawings that are prepared within committed timelines,
- Exemplify proper oral and written communications
- Other duties may be assigned.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Structural Engineering from an ABET-accredited program, a minimum of 7 years of related experience, and a portfolio of completed projects representative of design ability.
- North Carolina Professional Engineer (PE) license is required.
Technically lead team(s) of engineers during projects as assigned by the Division Manager or Senior Project Manager. A Senior Design Engineer is a technical leader who is expected to help improve the technical abilities of the team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret building Codes, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and other business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing software; spreadsheet software; drafting software (AutoCAD or similar); structural calculation software (Enercalc and RetainPro or similar); and structural modeling software (RISA 2D/3D or similar).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The noise level in the office work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Performance of site visits and other fieldwork may require crawling through confined spaces beneath structures and/or traversing and climbing through unfinished attics.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
HOW TO APPLY
If you believe you fit the description and desire to advance your career at Stonewall Structural Engineering, please submit your resume, cover letter, and any letters of recommendation that you would like to provide. We will review your information and let you know the next steps. You can contact us at email@example.com.